Friday, May 15, 2009

Thing 45--Cloud Computing

I have already, on rare occasions, “remoted in” to my work computer from my home computer to grab a file I had there, or to use a program I don’t have on my home computer. But so much of what I now do on the computer IS web-based, that I rarely need to link to my own computer. I check email, read my feeds, etc., from whichever computer I have access to. I guess I already use the cloud more than I realized.

While I haven’t made regular use of GoogleDocs, my son in High School has. He was encouraged by his school librarian (YEA!) to use it. She allowed students who were printing from GoogleDocs to print for free. He was immediately sold. He also took a creative writing class last summer that used the program to share and read and comment on each other’s writing. So I recognize the potential, even if I personally am still a dinosaur.

My only concerns about the cloud revolve around security. I don’t mind having what I choose to be public be public—I just don’t want other things to become public without my permission. A concept that is harder and harder to control…

No comments:

My Grandmother Agnes