Friday, May 8, 2009

Thing 41--Mashup Your Life

While I signed up for Lifestream.fm, I am not convinced that I am all that comfortable with the concept. I understand how some people might find it convenient, but I am just, well, old enough to feel like this is too much of an invasion into my privacy. I have moved over the course of doing these "things" to having a more open and public presence on the web, but I really am uncomfortable with just how much personal data can be out there for all to see. I also worry about the children growing up now, who have no sense of what to share and what not to share.



On a pragmatic front, I just read in the newspaper about an employer who was disturbed by inappropriate photos on an employee's Facebook page, beside her resume listing his company as her employer. He, somewhat understandably I thought, was concerned about how this juxtaposition might reflect on his business.



We need to be thoughtful and careful about just how we present ourselves on line. Sometimes less really is better.

No comments:

My Grandmother Agnes