Friday, February 27, 2009

Thing 30 -- More RSS and Delicious

I have a link to Google Reader on my iGoogle page, which is my homepage at work. I spend about 10 to 15 minutes each morning skimming through the short versions of posts, and click on the full texts of those that I want to read more fully. I do this every work day, and usually on the weekend too. If I go to Google Reader separately, which I do if there are over 50 feeds, I have the feeds sorted into folders. For example, all the 23 things blogs are in the same folder. It helps somewhat, so that I know what it is I'm looking at. I do not use feeds for ordinary news material--it would just overwhelm me. I keep it--for the most part--professional. (Ok, Mark Bittmann's food blog doesn't count, but...)

I don't really use most of the Delicious bells and whistles. I did take advantage of this "thing" to improve my sorting of tags, tag bundles, etc. I got rid of duplicates, and added a bunch of new tag bundles to make my account more useful. For this "Thing" I added people to my network and tried subscribing to a few tags. But I have a feeling I will just end up with too much. I find most of my sites through all the feeds I subscribe to. But I will give it a try to see if I find new material this way too.

I do like the tag cloud, especially after I tweaked the size. I'm still going to try to tweak the color so that it matches my blog layout better. The new cloud from delicious comes with a button, so I didn't add a separate one.

No comments:

My Grandmother Agnes