Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Thing 28 -- Personalize Your Homepage

Because I had created an iGoogle page with the original 23 Things class, I chose to do more with that homepage. I chose it initially because I had begun to use Google Reader, so it seemed a logical fit. Now that I have changed my Internet provider at home, I have also started using gmail for my home account.

As part of this Thing, I added back my Yahoo mail account to the front page. I also added a Twitter gadget, a gadget to link to the MToaS wiki, a tab with Library materials, and a few more news and education gadgets. Because that felt a bit too "plug and play," I decided I would try to create a new theme for my home page. That took a bit more effort, since Google was not particularly clear what size or shape of photo would work. My effort isn't particularly spectacular, but it uses a photo from my vacation last year, so I like it. (It doesn't seem to be available to be shared, although I thought I gave that permission. It's called "Mountain Sunshine," if it ever shows up.)

I would have to say that I like having Twitter there, as well as Reader and the email accounts. I also find that the education gadgets often point me to things useful for my school. Many of the other gadgets and widgets seem too much for play and not so much for work.

I really want to explore how I can use these items as part of my library or for school services. I'm still trying to figure that one out. Some of the reading (the end of the Metz article) got more technical than I am, so I am still unsure how I can make this work.

No comments:

My Grandmother Agnes