Tuesday, May 6, 2008

May Day Madness

Spring is exploding all around me, and I am sitting at my computer. The only thing that makes it even half-way okay is knowing that today I get to read to preschoolers, do recess duty, and pick up my plants from the school plant sale.

But even though I usually don't like spring (damp, etc.), I love the quality of the sunshine and the energy with which people respond to the world outside.

Here's one of my favorite poems about spring:


in Just-
spring when the world is mud-
luscious the little
lame balloonman
whistles far and wee

and eddieandbill come
running from marbles and
piracies and it's spring

when the world is puddle-wonderful

the queer
old balloonman whistles
far and wee
and bettyandisbel come dancing
from hop-scotch and jump-rope and

it's spring
and the goat-footed
balloonMan whistles
far
and
wee

ee cummings


I hope everyone gets to enjoy some sunshine, and sprinkles, and mud...

No comments:

My Grandmother Agnes