Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Thing 20 -- Social Networking

Whew! I never knew just how big a deal this whole issue is until I (perhaps naively) invited my 14 year old son to be my Facebook friend. He just said, "Mom, all my friends would see. I'm not really comfortable with that." After spending several days as the only person in the world with NO Facebook friends, I invited my 20 year old son who took pity on me. Ah, it sure makes me feel like I'm in the ostracizing land of middle or high school again.

I can, though, understand the appeal, given how my sons use this site. I have been able to view my older son's photos while he is studying abroad, my younger son has stayed in touch with former school mates, and they each use it to connect with friends near and far. When I think about how I fell out of touch with classmates in the various years of education I have gone through, I am glad that this newer generation at least has an easier technology to help them keep in touch, if they choose to.

I joined 2 groups, "Librarians and Web 2.0" and "Librarians and Facebook." I did like a video that I found on the first, which I posted below.

So, please "friend" me so that I don't feel like that sad 13 year old that lives inside all of us!

My Facebook status is:


Lydia Schultz
is learning how to be a true library geek.

1 comment:

LeAnn said...

I don't know if I got the right Lydia Schultz, but I just tried adding someone with that name!

And, in Facebook 23 Things on a Stick is not allowed to have a profile. I saw you asked how you can add them as a friend. Organizations can't have profiles, they can have what's called Fan Pages, where you'd have to add them as a Fan. There is no Fan page for 23 Things.

There is a 23 Things group, though not a lot of members, and maybe someone created it as they were going along on this journey? Who knows, but you can join the group:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=10412098556.

I'm a coach for the CMLE participants on this 23 Things journey, and I don't know if you're a part of CMLE or not, but you can ask me any question if you need help!

Congrats on finishing, by the way. Woo-hoo!

LeAnn Suchy

My Grandmother Agnes