Monday, January 28, 2008

Thing 2 -- More on Library 2.0

I found Stephen Abram's video interesting. Perhaps I am just someone who always likes a challenge, but why would anyone be hesitant to embark on learning this material? I do have concerns--as a former writing teacher and as someone who cares about copyrights--about how people use another person's material, but I think that we need, as the video suggests, to learn by doing. I like the thought of meeting my students where they are, and I confess to finding personal satisfaction in impressing my 14 year old and my 20 year old by having a blog before them. (I did, however, only beat my 20 yr. old by a day or two. He is blogging during his semester in Athens, as the link soon to be posted beside here, indicates.)

The article "The Ongoing Web Revolution raises some of the concerns I have. I like, though, the idea that "trust drives change." As many people have noted, the web is currently like the wild west, with not much in the way of regulation or control. But as time passes, users or netizens will begin to police their own ranks, much as that wild west town chose a sheriff.

I just remembered where I found my analogy above--the UN Guide to the Internet for teens. It's fairly basic and focuses on social networking, but teachers out there might find it useful for the middle school aged student.

No comments:

My Grandmother Agnes