Thursday, March 12, 2009

Thing 32 -- Google Maps and Mashups

This map traces the walks I did from my childhood home to the schools that I attended. I found photos of each spot on the street level Google maps as well, and put them at each site. It was frustrating because the map kept speeding away from me--reason unknown. It was relatively easy to do the bits and pieces with practice, although I am unclear how effective the map will be in the blog. Each time I tried to paste the html directly into the post, it crashed Internet explorer. (Yes, I know other browsers are friendlier, but I share this computer with my family.) I tried doing it as a gadget, but realized that wouldn't be directly in the post. So I am trying this way (pasted into the post) and we will see what happens. Other frustrations--the descriptions of spots must shift into html, and apostrophes left odd code. So I went back and rewrote to avoid the odd characters popping in. Just in case there are issues with the map, I made the title a hot link to the Google Map site as well.

I think these mashups could be quite useful if you were doing a scavenger hunt, a walking tour or a family gathering. But I really don't see much practical application for me at work. Still, you never know. I'm using other stuff I didn't think I would need either. Isn't that the point of this program? :-)


View Larger Map

No comments:

My Grandmother Agnes